The Charlton Society’s stated mission is the “conservation and improvement of Charlton”.
Our Planning Group is responsible for screening planning policy and for its implementation. This involves considering planning strategy and inspecting new planning applications each month.
The group meets regularly and reports back its recommendations to the Society’s main committee. It also keeps our members informed about major developments through the Society’s monthly talks, always encouraging Charlton residents to become more involved.
Since the beginning of 2018 the Charlton Society has joined forces with the ‘Charlton Together’ group to combine knowledge and experience in the face of the gathering numbers of planning applications for major redevelopments within the Charlton Riverside area.
Charlton Society is also a member of the Greenwich Conservation Group.
Once Charlton Society has formed its views, through discussions with its members, the two above groups and in committee meetings it may write to Greenwich Council Planning board suggesting improvements that might be made to an application, or we may object to it altogether.
The Charlton Society does not comment on private planning applications, apart from very unusual circumstances where they might impact on the wider community.
Current issues for the Society are:
1.Charlton Village – rejuvenation of one of London’s few genuine villages (Village Action Plan)
2. Charlton Park Academy – current planning proposals to demolish current structure and install new two-storey building. This is in a conservation area
3. Woolwich SDP: a forthcoming re-examination of a masterplan for the centre of Woolwich, planned for public consultation this autumn
4. Liaising with the newly formed Royal Greenwich Heritage Trust
5. 486 night bus proposals, plus TfL proposed cancellation of 53 route
6. Concern with increased traffic due to recently opened IKEA
7. Development proposals: Rockwell; U&I; Hyde Housing
8. The proposed Silvertown Tunnel
The current core members of the Society’s Planning Group are:
Roden Richardson (Group chair)
Other members of the Charlton Society committee and co-opted members attend meetings as required.
Want to get involved with our Planning Group? Please get in touch. We welcome new people and new points of view.