The Charlton Society usually holds talks on matters of local interest, normally on the third Saturday of every month, in Charlton House, or, on occasion, The Assembly Rooms, from 2.30pm, however due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, The Charlton Society had to postpone all talks for 2020.
As an alternative, for the arrival of 2021, The Charlton Society is now hosting meetings online instead until we are able to meet in person again, the first of which was held earlier in January, and was very well attended, thank you to all who did. The next meeting is scheduled for February, details are listed below. We welcome as many participants as possible. Invitations will be sent via email. We hope to reschedule many of the proposed presentations that were in the diary for 2020, please see further details below. If you have any queries regarding attending the meetings, please click here
We will also be posting the presentations online after the meetings, please see under each scheduled listing.
We wish you all a safe and healthy 2021.
Programme for 2021:
– February 20th 2021: Charlton Sports by Tim Anderson (virtual presentation)
Tim has lived in the Blackheath and Charlton area for 53 years, the last 36 years in Charlton.
Originally trained as a mathematics and physical education teacher, Tim has had a very varied career in music, education and sport. After time as a musician, Tim became a secondary school teacher and later worked as a programme manger in Adult and Community Education. Tim later became a senior lecturer managing the Sport, Music and Performing Arts departments at Southwark College.
Tim, a long-term member of the Charlton Society, has a special interest in local history and sports culture. He has served as the Chair of the Friends of Maryon Parks and is currently the Chair of Maryon Park Community Garden.
– January 16th 2021: The History of the Mulberry Tree by Dr Peter Coles (virtual presentation)
For further information on the significance of the mulberry, please click here
It is also possible to contact Dr Peter Coles directly, please click here
To read the presentation, please click here
Postponed 2020 schedule:
– March 21st: The History of the Mulberry Tree: Dr Peter Coles (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– April 18th: The Women of Well Hall Estate: Lynne Dixon (The Assembly Rooms) – Cancelled
– May 16th: Charlton Cemetery: Gill Cooper (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– June 20th: History of the Co-operative Society, Royal Artillery Co-operative – the first Co-op in Southern England: Mary Mills (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– July 18th: Some Homes for Heroes, built in SE London: Dr Michael Passmore – Cancelled
– August 22nd: Croquet Day (Charlton Park) – Cancelled
– September 19th: Lewisham Nature Conversation: Jessica Kyle (Charlton House) – cancelled.
– October 17th: Charlton Society AGM, followed by challenges facing Woolwich: Cllr David Gardner (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– November 21st: The Assembly Rooms: Gwen Zammit (The Assembly Rooms) – Cancelled
– December 19th: Charlton Open Air School: George Burton (Charlton House) – Cancelled
Suggestions for future speakers and subject matter are always welcomed, let us know: click here