The Charlton Society usually holds talks on matters of local interest, normally on the third Saturday of every month, in Charlton House, or, on occasion, The Assembly Rooms, from 2.30pm. However due to Charlton House hosting filming throughout April, the next meeting will be held at St Luke’s. The next meeting is scheduled on Saturday 15th April, at St Luke’s, a presentation by Barbara Holland, on The Eastcombe Estate.
Where possible we also upload the presentations on to the website.
For the full proposed schedule for 2023 please click here although please bear in mind the programme could be subject to change.
– 15th April 2023: The Eastcombe Estate, presented by Barbara Holland
Barbara Holland began her local history research when she retired after 30 years working for Greenwich
Council. She has given talks to local groups on a variety of subjects including Charlton builder ‘Mad
Jack’ Ellis, Charles Heisch and Charlton Gardens and Gardening. She is Chair of the Friends of
Greenwich Park History Research Group which explores some of the lesser-known facets of the
Barbara has lived locally for more than 40 years and has a particular interest in telling the hidden stories
of people and places in Charlton. In her illustrated talk about the Eastcombe Estate, she will look at its
early history and ownership and how the estate was developed at the start of the 20th century. Barbara will
highlight aspects such as the layout and housing design, the early occupants, and how the area has
changed over the years.
We look forward to welcoming you
Previous 2023 presentations:
–18th February 2023: Rev Abraham Colfe, presented by Julian Watson. For presentation, please click here
-18th February 2023: JMW Turner, Sandycombe Lodge, presented by David Meaden. For presentation, please click here
– 21st January 2023: Margaret Taylor, Eltham Street names. For presentation please click here
Previous 2022 presentations:
– 17th December: Tim Anderson, Charlton Music
– 19th November: Charlton and the Tram, presented by Mark James, TfL
– 15th October: 1951 Festival of Britain Pleasure Gardens – Battersea Park, presented by Helen Brown, landscape architect
– 17th September: The Stained Glass of St Luke’s, presented by Churchwarden Joseph Spooner
– 16th July 2022: Creating a museum and archive space at Charlton House, presented by Royal Greenwich Heritage Trust Chief Executive, Tracy Stringfellow
– 18th June 2022: Commonwealth & Gurkha Garden at St George’s Garrison Church, presented by Woolwich Garrison Church Trust Chairman, Tim Barnes
– 21st May 2022: Save Our Village Action Plan (SOVAP) presented by The Charlton Society Committee (at Charlton House). For presentation, please click here
23rd April 2022: Charlton Open-Air School, presented by George Burton. For presentation, please click here
To accompany George Burton’s presentation, please click here for further details regarding the Charlton open-air school, written in 1957 by Frank Jefferson who was head teacher at the school and oversaw the move from Shrewsbury Park to Charlton Park.
– 19th March 2022: Charlton House Gardens, presented by Kathy Aitken, Charlton & Blackheath Amateur Horticultural Society (CABAHS).
– 19th February 2022: Charlton Histories of Home presented by Naomi Oppenheim
– 15th January 2022: Charlton: Greenwich Riverside: Upper Watergate to Angerstein presented by Dr Mary Mills (virtual presentation)
Suggestions for future speakers and subject matter are always welcomed, let us know: click here