The Charlton Society usually holds talks on matters of local interest, normally on the third Saturday of every month, in Charlton House, or, on occasion, The Assembly Rooms, from 2.30pm, however due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, The Charlton Society had to postpone all talks for 2020.
As an alternative, for 2021, The Charlton Society is now hosting meetings online instead until we are able to meet in person again, the first of which was held in January, and was very well attended, thank you to all who did, the same for February and March. The next meeting is scheduled for 17th April, details are listed below. We welcome as many participants as possible. Invitations will be sent via email. We hope to reschedule many of the proposed presentations that were in the diary for 2020, please see further details below. If you have any queries regarding attending the meetings, please click here
We wish you all a safe and healthy 2021.
For the full proposed schedule for 2021, please click here although please bear in mind the programme could be subject to change due to the ongoing pandemic.
– April 24th 2021: A Day in the Life Of a Mayor in Lockdown by Mayor Linda Bird (virtual presentation)
Royal Borough of Greenwich Mayor Linda Bird shares her experiences throughout the pandemic.
**Please note this a change of date as the Mayor is committed to official duties in relation to the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral this Saturday (17th)**
– March 20th 2021: The Women of Well Hall Estate in WW1 by Lynne Dixon (virtual presentation)
– February 20th 2021: Charlton Sports by Tim Anderson (virtual presentation)
– January 16th 2021: The History of the Mulberry Tree by Dr Peter Coles (virtual presentation)
For further information on the significance of the mulberry, please click here
It is also possible to contact Dr Peter Coles directly, please click here
To read the presentation, please click here
Postponed 2020 schedule:
– March 21st: The History of the Mulberry Tree: Dr Peter Coles (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– April 18th: The Women of Well Hall Estate: Lynne Dixon (The Assembly Rooms) – Cancelled
– May 16th: Charlton Cemetery: Gill Cooper (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– June 20th: History of the Co-operative Society, Royal Artillery Co-operative – the first Co-op in Southern England: Mary Mills (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– July 18th: Some Homes for Heroes, built in SE London: Dr Michael Passmore – Cancelled
– August 22nd: Croquet Day (Charlton Park) – Cancelled
– September 19th: Lewisham Nature Conversation: Jessica Kyle (Charlton House) – cancelled.
– October 17th: Charlton Society AGM, followed by challenges facing Woolwich: Cllr David Gardner (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– November 21st: The Assembly Rooms: Gwen Zammit (The Assembly Rooms) – Cancelled
– December 19th: Charlton Open Air School: George Burton (Charlton House) – Cancelled
Suggestions for future speakers and subject matter are always welcomed, let us know: click here