30th March 2020 – UPDATE: The Committee have now taken the decision to cancel the scheduled talks for April, May and June. We are hopeful that we might resume our programme in July but will keep everyone up-to-date as to whether that is possible or whether we shall have to make further cancellations.
The Mulberry Tree talk by Dr. Peter Coles has now been reset for Saturday 17th. October which is also The Charlton Society’s Annual general Meeting.
URGENT NOTICE: Due to the Current Coronavirus crisis the Charlton Society Committee have taken the decision to postpone the Mulberry Tree talk scheduled for March 21st.
We will review the situation monthly with regard to future scheduled talks, but it is possible that Talks MAY be postponed for the three months.
We apologise unreservedly for having to disappoint you in this but believe we need to join forces with all those venues, cultural outlets, Charlton Society members and visitors in this fight against this disease.
We wish you all a safe and healthy future.
The Charlton Society holds talks on matters of local interest, normally on the third Saturday of every month, in Charlton House, or, on occasion, The Assembly Rooms from 2.30pm:
– March 21st: The history of the Mulberry Tree: Dr Peter Coles (Charlton House) – Postponed until October 17th. 2020
– April 18th: The Women of Well Hall Estate: Lynne Dixon (The Assembly Rooms) – Cancelled
– May 16th: Charlton Cemetery: Gill Cooper (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– June 20th: History of the Co-operative Society, Royal Artillery Co-operative – the first Co-op in Southern England: Mary Mills (Charlton House) – Cancelled
– July 18th: Some Homes for Heroes, built in SE London: Dr Michael Passmore
– August 22nd: Croquet Day (Charlton Park)
– September 19th: Lewisham Nature Conversation: Jessica Kyle (Charlton House)
– October 17th: Charlton Society AGM, followed by challenges facing Woolwich:
Cllr David Gardner (Charlton House)
– November 21st: The Assembly Rooms: Gwen Zammit (The Assembly Rooms)
– December 19th: Charlton Open Air School: George Burton (Charlton House)
Suggestions for future speakers and subject matter are always welcomed, let us know either at a meeting – speak to Pauline Langley, Membership Secretary, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Media Officer)